- Electric Kettle : This little electronic appliance is quickly become the favorite of every hosteler. Available in filament and induction heated variants they serve as the most versatile cooking appliance. From making tea/coffee to boiling eggs,chicken and potatoes to cooking up your favorite instant noodles it helps serve almost all your hunger tantrums. The best part is that most of the kettles available in the market work on 240V supply and are easy to store as they need only a small fraction of your study table. It thus is a must have for every hosteler or dormer. Needless mentioning the fact that these electric kettles are available in a super pocket friendly budget ranging anywhere from 600-1500 rupees.
- Induction Cooktop : While it might be considered as a luxury product for a hostel room, someone living as a paying guest might see it as an essential. Induction cooktops virtually serve all the purposes of a gas burner in lesser space. All you require is a power socket. Plug in and get cooking from staple like rice and lentils to feasts like butter chicken and all sorts of breads be it roti, paratha or even naan you can have the proper home cooked meal whenever you wish. It takes up a quarter of a table for space and accompanied with all the necessary induction utensils it accounts for something around 4000-5000 rupees.
- Electric Trimmer : In the busy life of a student the day often passes by unnoticed and by the time one gets free of his daily duties there is no time left to do anything. How often has it happened that you’ve even forgotten to get a shave for next day’s presentation and only realized it in the middle of the night. An electric trimmer can come in handy during such a crisis. It serves the purpose of shaving and trimming equally well. In the price range of 800-1200 it is a product worth every penny and fits pretty well in your pocket too.
At home or away from home, nobody enjoys doing laundry in particular. I wonder how many of you look at that pile of laundry and secretly wish for disposabe clothes. Oh! what a wonderfull invention would be that be. However, that aint happening anytime soon so you better get cracking on that pile of laundry right away. Than God for washing machines if not for them we would have had to waste ours of saturdays and sundays in soaking, washing, rinsing and drying clothes.
Washing mchines nowadays are a common identity in every household for the simple fact that they make life easier. So if you are still alien to the pleasures and wonders of this beloved consumer durable you need to buy a washing machine now. However, before investing your money into anything you must learn a few details which will help you make a better and informed selection. Read ahead to know what are the essential features and specialities of a modern top quality washing machine and the basic specs that are a bare minimum in today’s time.
Washing Machine Types:
Washing machines are basically of two types :
- Fully Automatic : as the name suggests these are completely automated. They come with pre-loaded wash settings. All you need to do is to pop in the laundry and select a wash setting on the control panel and relax. These are highly efficient in washing and dryng the clothes. Although they consume a good amount of electriity and are a little costly ranging from 15,000 to 70,000 ruppees.
- Semi Automatic : As agan the name is self explanatory. These machines need a litte bit of manual attention for setting the timer and shifting the clothes from the wash to the spin-dry container after the completion of wash. The wash quality is good but nowhere near compared to the automatic ones. However, they are economical on both your pocket and the electricity meter. All in all it is a good bargain when you consider the ease it provides compared to washing the clothes by hands. At a pocket friendly price ranging from 9,000 to 15,000 indian ruppees it still makes a very good purchase.
While the semi-automatic washing machine only comes in the tp loading form the fully-automatic washing machine has one more variant, the star of any washing machine adveertisement, Front-Loading washing machine. Following is a small comparison to help you decide which model suits your needs best.
|Average wash Quality||Best wash quality|
|Consumes more water||Lesser water consumption|
|Economical 16,000 – 40,000||Expensive : 25,000 – 70,000|
Washing Machine Capacity :
Unlike other appliances like refrigerators or microwave ovens a washing machine’s capacity is measured in Kilograms(Kg) instead of Litres(l). The weight corresponds to the amount of clothes that can be washed at a time in the washing machine. For a small family of 4-5 members A 7Kg washing machine is sufficient. However every family is different and you might be better able to decide for yourself what capacity of washing machine would suffice for your needs. While a 7Kg washing machine allows you to wash at least 8-10 items of clothing(not including linen and towels) a full sized 10Kg washing machine is powerfull enough to wash 18-20 items of the same clothing. You might also want to consider how many washes per week can you manage. According to that you can better understand how many clothes you’ll be washing at a time. For istance if you do laundry once a week the load of clothes will be much more than someone doing lundry twice a week. So thin and understand what type of washing machine can your lfestyle easily accommodate.
Common Features :
While not all the washing machines would have all of the features but try buying one which has most of the below mentioned features.
- Delay Start: Allows to soak the clothes before starting the wash.
- Quick Wash : For when you don’t have time to soak the clothes and need to wash them quickly.
- Steam Wash : A quick wash and quickly dried. Fresh as ever within an hour.
- Spin Cycle : The spin dryer function ranging from 300rpm at the least to 1000rpm.
- Fuzzy Logic : Analyses the amount of time water and detergent needed to wash a certain load. Hassle free laundry.
- Temperature Control : Hot water cleans the clothes better than cold water due to decreased surface tension and consequently more penetration. Available in machines which come with an inbuilt water heater.
Best Washing Machines :
Given below is a list of most desired washing machines across different brands and features.